So, your child has finally made it to the status of
Missionary. It is so surprising what a mix of emotions there are for such
a joyous event. The tears seem to flow easily. Many mom's I have
talked to feel the same as I do, that it almost feels like a death of the child
as they move onto adulthood. We know in our mind that this is the right
thing, but it is hard. Just remember...you would cry harder if your child
were staying home.
Here are some last minute items that are must haves
for the MTC:
Stamps
Stationary
Pens that are Fine Stroked
Luggage Tags
Zip Lock bags for Toiletries
Sharpie Marker to Mark their Clothes
Make a shrunk down copy of their Patriarchal
Blessing and Get it Laminated
Send them with a small address book with important
addresses in it
Get them the "New Scriptures"if they have
the "Old Ones." (Prior to September 2013) (Get them scriptures in
your native tongue only, apparently the other things are provided.)
Setting Apart:
•
We were able to write down the blessing. I
typed it out and made a copy. We will also shrink it down and laminate it
and send it in a package.
Some Ideas:
•
We sent a package the day before our missionary
left so it arrived the first day that he was in the MTC. We decided to do the
12 First Days of the MTC. We wrapped of 12 items (mainly snacks) and had
a card that went with each of them. We put funny family quotes and other
LDS quotes on the cards.
•
Every new Mission Mom needs to know about
DearElder.com especially for the Provo MTC.
◦
It allows the email you send to printed and it is
delivered the next day.
◦
It also has packages that they will deliver.
◦
The Krispy Creme doughnuts are a favorite and those
are delivered on Tuesdays and Fridays so you will need to order the night
before.
◦
For those of you that like coupons, DearElder will
send you a coupon code after your first package order.
◦
Sending an email through DearElder is free.
Sending a package costs a pretty penny ($20 to $35)
•
Your missionary should have a myldsmail.net
account. This can only be accessed on P-Day. If good fortune has
it, you may be able to have an email exchange on P-Day.
•
Snail Mail mixes things up. Some hand written
letters are always nice.
•
We stuffed his bags, journals, and everything else
we could find with letters and notes. I made a journal entry in both
journals that I sent.
•
The second day we sent him some sweet rolls with
DearElder.com for comfort food
Day of MTC:
•
Bring your Kleenex. All of the goodbye's
should be said at home. We went out to a quick lunch before at the BYU
Creamery on the 9th.
•
The drop off time has about a 10 minute variation.
•
When you get into the MTC you will pull forward.
You get out and so do they. You grab their bags and then give them
a big hug!
•
We were lucky enough to have one of his best friends
be a host. It made it so much easier.
•
We cried all the way home!
•
After arriving home, I had a good cry in bed.
I felt that I needed to grieve properly. My best friends and family
texted lots of encouragement.
•
I did a small FaceBook post and the comments and
likes seemed to make me feel a little better.
•
The next day I woke up and decided to move forward
and focus on the blessings...for example now we only have 7 in our car instead
of 6 so the back seat is not such a torture chamber.
•
We have felt blessed ever since (with random tears
of happiness or sadness?)
First Letter
•
We received the first letter 3 days after he
entered. It was really short, but it told us his PDay and general
information. We had sent him with stationary and a stamp so it was easy for
him to send.
•
The first email we received was on his PDay.
He informed us to use snail mail or DearElder so he can have a printed
copy and read those during the week for encouragement.
•
I cried when I got his first letter! I then went
out to lunch with my husband. I just sat there with tears streaming down
my face. He asked, "What is wrong?" I said, "I don't
know!" I haven't quite yet developed a place for all of the tender
feelings I have being a missionary mom. It will come though. I know
it.
Surprises
•
I was surprised about the loss of my children and
how much I needed this to be a group effort in getting over the loss of a big
brother in the home. We asked friends and family for encouragement of
younger siblings.
•
I was also surprised how much I have felt the
Spirit since he left.
•
My emotions are raw and I seem to cry at the
strangest times and places. I am working on it though.
•
Why is such a happy thing, a mission (remember I
hope they call me on a mission?) such a sad event for me? I keep telling myself
how "happy" I am.
I Wish I Would Have?
•
I wish I would have canceled his phone service
before he left. We have had a major snag canceling it since he is now and
"adult."
•
Had more people write letters to him at his
farewell party. Then you can send them lots of envelopes snail mail in
the MTC.
•
Had a photobook made of his life and had people
sign it at his mission farewell
I am Glad I Did
•
We gave him some cash for a reserve
•
We set up a bank account for him to transfer funds
•
We had him apply for 2 credit cards so his credit
could be established while he was gone and he would have a credit card history
•
I cut his hair for 18 years and put $15.00 in his
mission fund each time
•
We had his big going away party the Saturday before
his farewell then had only a few people come after the three hour block.
I am happy to say...I am so glad that I did!
•
We had a photo card made up with his picture
mission information, package address and mailing address for people to take
with them from his farewell party. I'm glad I did.
•
Got all of his passwords and account information to
e-bay, email, Facebook, etc.
About the MTC
•
There are usually about 6 Elders to a room so it
has some easy sharing of packages.
•
They are able to exercise or have gym times about 5
days a week.
•
They can only write us on PDay except for their
first day in.
•
They can get there mail any day and read it.
Signing Off-
Tamara Fackrell (A Dedicated Missionary Mom)
No comments:
Post a Comment